Tuesday, February 23, 2010

State of the Blog Address

Writing is a funny thing. Everyone who writes even semi-regularly knows that if you aren't really "feeling it," trying to write something that falls somewhere between readable and good (or beyond) is nearly impossible.

Sitting down to write something, even something small, is such a personal thing. You pen together a few words. Sometimes you hate what you write. Sometimes you love what you write. Most of the time you simply feel comfortable, but not extraordinary (negatively or positively) about what you write.

The irony of all ironies is that many times when you feel great about something you write, and expect others to compliment you, you receive nary a word of encouragement. Your left to think, "huh, maybe I actually suck."

Then, you have times when you throw something together you are completely uncomfortable with. You think "well this kind of blows, but fuck it I'll post it anyway." And, low and behold, that's the piece someone comments on. Or retweets. Or sends you an email saying "hey I loved what you wrote about fill-in-the-blank."

Writing is such a dissociative thing. Perceiving the written word is completely different for everyone; be it writer, reader, skimmer, accidental googler, or whomever. The fact is, if I write something I love, there is going to be someone out there who hates it. And if I write something I hate, there is going to be someone out there who loves it. Reader and writer each perceive the written word differently.

Now I'm not here to say my pithy little posts about the last decade of Twins baseball, or Nick Punto being sort of a fuck up are even remotely relevant in any grand scheme or scope. They aren't.

Quite simply, I like to write. I enjoy throwing together a few jokes and a little analysis and trying to make a coherent piece of writing that someone, somewhere will enjoy. It may seem like I am just fucking around, and to a degree I am, but I also take my writing seriously. If I don't feel at least slightly comfortable with what I am writing, I will not post it, or, as has been the case lately, if I haven't felt completely "into" what I am doing, I won't even begin writing in the first place.

All this is really a long winded way of saying, that while I know I haven't been posting lately, I am moving forward now. I feel recharged and ready to throw myself back into this site.

Moving forward, the blog outlook will be something like this:

Between two and four Twins related posts during the week (Monday - Thursday). Now that pitchers and catchers have reported, and there is actual news, I will throw myself back into the blogosphere and crank out my usual witty and insightful Twins musings.

On top of this, however, I will also feature a Friday post on random topics that will likely be completely unrelated to the Twins, and probably sports in general. This will simply be an outlet for me to feel like I am actually writing something instead of just blogging. If that makes sense.

I am not sure what form these Friday posts will take on yet, but I have been looking to try something new, and this will be a good way for me to refocus.

Basically, for those of you who enjoy my Twins blogging, I will obviously be continuing that the majority of the time. For those of you who don't enjoy my Twins blogging (I'm not sure why you are here, but I am flattered) maybe you will enjoy my Friday writings. Really, though, this will just serve as an outlet for me...at the expense of all of you.

Really this is just something I need to get me back on track and avoid a feeling of monotony.

Hopefully, as I get back into the writing flow, there will be plenty to enjoy for everyone here at Undomed. At least, if nothing else, this slightly new format will serve as a way to keep me sane, because, let's face it, writing about sports every single day gets a little old.

So, what I am here to tell you is, that while the state of the blog has faltered as of late, the future of the blog is strong.

And that is a promise.

Thank you for your readership.

No comments:

Post a Comment